I can help you elevate your knitting pattern to its highest potential!
Dear Knitwear Designer,
You’ve spent many hours developing a knitwear design, sketching ideas, crunching numbers, grading sizes, knitting samples, and finally, writing up your pattern. You’ve poured your heart and soul into your new design, and you want it to be it’s best in every possible way – accurate, concise, easy to read, and polished. I can help you with that!
Having studied accounting as part of my college degree and worked in the financial services industry as a Member Advisor, Manager, and as a Training Specialist (designing and creating my own curriculum, content, and training tools), I am uniquely qualified to verify that your numbers and calculations are correct and to offer suggestions, when appropriate, to improve the readability of your patterns. As a voracious knitter myself, I can handle techniques from simple to advanced and have first hand knowledge of what knitters look for in a pattern. As a designer myself, I can appreciate your needs for timely turnaround and respectful communication; as well as your concerns for accuracy and success. Having completed the Joeli Creates tech editing course, I’ve studied technical editing as applied to knitwear design, and gained valuable experience. I would love to put my unique skill set to work assisting you with the last stages of preparing your pattern for publishing. Together, we can ensure that your patterns are the best that they can possibly be!
Below are details and information about how I operate and what it’s like to work with me. Please take a peek, and feel free to drop me a line using my Contact Form if you have any questions or would like more information! I will do my best to respond within one to two days.
Wishing you all the best, and looking forward to working with you,
My Tech Editing Services Include:
- Checking that all schematics, gauge, and written instructions match.
- Checking that all charts and written instructions match and work.
- Verifying that your instructions will produce the article in your photos.
- Checking that your stitch counts, multiples, and rows are accurate and work.
- Checking math and sizing for mistakes or inconsistencies.
- Checking the pattern is complete, not missing vital information (yarn information, materials list, abbreviations, etc…).
- Checking the pattern against your style sheet.
- Offering suggestions for changes to copy, layout, formatting, or style when appropriate, to improve pattern readability.
- Checking for consistency of capitalization, numbering system, abbreviations, etc…
- Checking for grammar, punctuation, typos, and consistency throughout your pattern text.
- Conducting a final review of your pattern after editing is completed.
Additional Services Available by Request:
- Creating charts from written instructions, and/or written instructions from charts.
- Creating schematics based upon finished measurements.
- Designing pattern layout.
These Additional Services can be requested along with Tech Editing Services or on their own. They are billed separately from my Tech Editing Services, but at the same hourly rate (see below).
You may be wondering what it’s like to work with me. Let me give you an idea and lay some of your concerns to rest…
My specialties include accessories such as hats, scarves, cowls, mitts/mittens, gloves, socks, and shawls. I also edit simple garments that have plain construction and simple stitch patterns. My typical turnaround time is approximately one week.
The best way to get in touch with me is to reach out via my Contact Form. Once we’ve gotten acquainted, if you’d like to proceed, you can send me your pattern file in PDF format. I will then look over your pattern and send you a cost estimate and date of return. This estimate is free to you.
Should we agree to work together, I will then edit your pattern. Once the first edit is completed, I will return the pattern file to you with my comments and suggestions. I will point out any errors or inconsistencies with vital information, and will make suggestions for changes to text, formatting, and/or style and layout that will improve pattern readability as appropriate. I will not make any direct changes to your work as all decisions relating to accepting any corrections or suggestions that I may make are completely and totally at your discretion. This is your pattern, and you get to make the final decisions on everything about it. I am just here to come alongside you and help you ensure that your final pattern is both correct and polished.
If updates and revisions are needed, I am happy to edit those as well. One to two rounds of updates and revisions are common. Please note: edits of updated/revised versions and reviews are billed as usual (see below). I cannot guarantee this will be true in every case, but normally edits of updated/revised versions are shorter/quicker, and therefore less expensive than the original edit. When all updates and revisions are complete with no more changes pending, I will conduct a Final Review, free of charge.
Once editing is complete and you and I are both satisfied with the final pattern, I will provide you with an invoice. I am currently accepting payment via PayPal in U.S. dollars.
My Rates are as Follows:
My rate is $35 per hour, charged in 15 minute increments. When I receive your pattern, I will look it over and provide you with a cost estimate and date of return (as mentioned above). If, after the edit has begun, it looks like it may take significantly longer than expected, I will contact you immediately with a revised estimate before proceeding. If less time is required to complete the edit, then the cost will be reduced accordingly. All edits done on updated versions and reviews are billed as stated above. The Final Review, once all updates and revisions are complete, is free.
To give you a general idea of typical time frames (this is in no way a guarantee, however)…
- Simple Accessories (hats, headbands, & scarves) ~ 1 hour
- Complex Accessories (mitts/mittens, gloves, socks, cowls, and shawls) ~ 1-3 hours
- Simple Garments (plain construction, simple stitch pattern) ~ 3-5 hours
- Charts, schematics, and pattern layout ~ 0.5-2 hours
Please drop me a line using my Contact Form if you have any questions or would like more information. I will do my best to respond within one to two days!